Wednesday, July 2, 2014

Don’t just leaving them standing behind you… lock them up!

Let’s continue on the topic from our last video which you can see here.
Walking through to get out of the strangle was fine and there may be time where that is all that is needed however in most cases you’re going to want to control your attacker. 

You will see, in the video below that, as we pass to the side and under your attackers arms that his arm and hand are in the perfect position for a wrist lock.


This wrist lock is called a “Sankyo” lock. You can see as I pass through and under that the start of the lock is already forming before I grab his hand and apply the sankyo lock. As I talked about before this lock employs the concepts of breaking their balance, apply the concepts of leverage and using our whole body against one aspect of your attackers body. 

Even though I’m holding the attackers hand with my hands you will notice that when I apply pressure I use my whole body not just my hands and arms.


No matter who you are training with always practice as if they are bigger and stronger than you, because your attacker will be!


Next week we will look at a throw from this same entry.

Cheers,


Jamie Rickard (Sensei)
Head Instructor
Koketsu Kai - Tiger's Den Jiu-jitsu and Grappling

No comments:

Post a Comment