Wednesday, September 16, 2015

When they try to kick you when you're down

Ok this week we are not talking about something bad happening when you are already in a bad mood but literally what to do when they try to kick you while you are laying on the ground.

So you founds yourself laying on the ground with your attacker standing over you. This is probably one of the worst places you can be, aside from them sitting on top of you raining down punches (We talked about that previously, you can check it out HERE.

Maybe you slipped or tripped, or maybe you got knocked down. Either way it doesn't really matter so long as you're still with it enough to be able to defend yourself.


When watching the video take a look at my hands when I'm on the ground. Am I sloppy and not protecting my head... OR am I doing this on purpose?

The answer IS: I'm doing it on purpose. When I leave my head undefended I am baiting the attacker. He's so mad a me that it will be almost impossible for him to resist trying to kick me in the head and that's good. WHY? Well I can now anticipate his attack. Since I know where he will kick, the block and counter attack becomes much easer.

One thing to always and I do mean ALWAYS remember is that in a real fight, when you are on the ground is to get back on your feet as soon as possible. But I'm a BJJ black belt you say and I don't fear being on the ground, I love it you say. Even if you do have the ability to take care of yourself on the ground, remember:

  • A real fight is rarely just one on one, other people can and often will get involved.
  • When you are on the ground defending against two attackers is far harder then when you're standing.
  • When your on the ground you are 100% committed. Your ability to withdraw from the fight if things start going bad is almost 0%.
You have to know what to do when you're on the ground but it's should never be where you want to end up. Here is another article about SURVIVING ON THE GROUND.

As always is you are looking for more great videos or to learn the wonderful art of jiu-jitsu please check out our web site at www.learn-jiu-jitsu-online.com. There you will our distance education program so you can learn jiu-jitsu anywhere at your own pace.

If you would like to repost this blog article or the videos with in you may do so but must include the following credit "The above information / video has been provide by Koketsu Kai - Tiger's Den Jiu-jitsu and Grappling and is used with their permission, www.tigersdenjiu-jitsu.comwww.learn-jiu-jitsu-online.com"

Cheers,

Jamie Rickard (Sensei)
Head Instructor
Koketsu Kai - Tiger's Den Jiu-jitsu and Grappling

Located at:
SMA/Patry Total Fitness

745 Development Dr
Kingston, Ontario

No comments:

Post a Comment